Friday 13 June 2014

the spiral garden


This is the herb spiral I made after thinking about sacred geometry and the symbolism of the spiral. I thought it would be beautiful to have a garden in the shape of a spiral. Herb spirals are a popular permaculture design that maximise space and allow you to create varying microclimates for different plants. The plants that are higher up have better drainage and require dryer soils where as the ones lower down, such as spearmint, enjoy damper soil.
I loved collecting our veggies and herbs from the spiral, although the chickens worked hard teaching me the nature of impermanence as they were constantly getting in there and removing everything!

For more information here's a link I used http://littlemountainhaven.com/how-to-build-a-herb-spiral/





 First I put down cardboard boxes that had been soaked for a couple of hours over the area. This suppresses the weeds.
Next I placed the bricks in the spiral design, building them up in order to gradually raise the layers. I then placed some gravel in the centre to allow for better drainage.


Then I topped up the spiral with soil.


and planted away. 


Leah :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment